Western Belle Figurehead

Western Belle Figurehead

Figurehead from the bark Western Belle, 1876, carved by C.A.L. Sampson – Western Belle built 1876 by Goss Sawyer & Packard for Capt. William H. Besse of New Bedford and was used in the China trade; later sold to owners from Portland OR; dismantled in 1895 and converted into a coal barge, being towed between Norfolk and New England ports; lost off Montauk approximately 1914 – one of three figureheads in the Peabody family, displayed in their garden at the family home in Peach’s Point, Marblehead, MA, before being donated to the museum. ©Peabody Essex Museum